Welcome

Thanks for visiting my blog and helping me get into this Web 2.0 tool.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

1st Professional Journal Article

"Factors influencing secondary school teachers' adoption of teaching blogs" by Hui-Min Lai
Computer and Education 56(2011) 948-960

This article discussed what individual characteristics motivate teachers to adopt teaching blogs. The two characteristics that inhibited the use of blogs were the perception of time and effort expense and the loss of knowledge power which is thought of as a competitive advantage. I have only seen the lack of sharing of unique knowledge  in highly competitive environments.

All of the other characteristics had a positive effect on the adoption of blogs. These included enjoyment in helping others, perceived usefulness, self-confidence, perceived ease of use, school support and incentives, peer influence, and more.

The article did state that it is a trend to use blogs in teaching. This is one of the reasons that I am taking this class. I am concerned about the amount of time and effort it takes to learn to use a new technology. This is another reason that I am in this class. The article did state that having a willingness to try out new information technology has a positive effect on a teacher's adoption of blogs in teaching. Yes, how true that is.




3 comments:

  1. Anytime I move outside my comfort zone I become uncomfortable. I also know that I grow as I first stumble, then walk, and finally run. There is something rewarding in learning something new and making it into something that is enjoyable. New technology is like that, I think. We first must be willing to try it out before we can become proficient. Isn't trying something we ask our students to do on a daily basis? Shouldn't we be modeling this process to them? It's one reason, like you, that I am in this class and in this program. Thanks for the reminder that it's okay to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concern about sharing my thoughts with others who are more engaged in the topic than me resonates with me. At some point in my life I turned off the interstate and proceeded down a dirt road and while I love my journey I often find myself alone, hoping that I don't get a flat tire or run out of gas. And yet if I chose my route for noble reasons, I should be strong enough to stand and say my piece. I hope each of you will find support by sharing your wonderful experiences, and all experiences are wonderful, even the crappy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your point about trends in education. Trying out new things that you aren't too sure about can be very time consuming. What got me really interested in blogging was after I attended a conference last year and listened to a speaker that had successfully implemented blogs into an International school in Thailand. The students started blogging as third graders and continued up through twelfth grade. Some of the blogs he shared with us were amazing. He also talked about how some of the kids were able to get job and college scholarships by just sending links to their blogs.

    ReplyDelete